11/5/08

Ham and Potato Casserole

I got this recipe from Taste of Home magazine. I decided to post it for two reasons. One, it uses powdered milk, that staple in everyone's food storage that we need to use and rotate (along with wheat flour and dried onion). Also, because when we tried it, we liked it better than the ham and potato casserole we were using before.

Ham and Potato Casserole
3/4 c powdered milk
1-3/4 c water
4 T butter or margarine
3 T flour (I use wheat, because why not?)
2 T dried minced onion
1 t salt
3/4 t paprika
6 large potatoes, thinly sliced
2 c diced fully cooked ham
1 c shredded cheddar cheese

In a small bowl, combine milk and water until smooth.  In a small saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in the flour, onion, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.

In a  greased shallow 2-1/2 qt baking dish, combine the potatoes and ham.  Pour sauce over the top.

Cover and bake at 350* for 15 minutes.  Uncover; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.  Sprinkle with cheese; bake for 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly and cheese is melted.

NOTE:  I usually 1/2 this recipe and cook it in an 8x8 pan for our family.

No comments: